If you need information or documents from these pages in another language or in a different format please email BHCCG.CCG@nhs.net.
What is Better Care?
Brighton and Hove's Better Care Plan describes how we will deliver improved services for our frail and vulnerable population that will help them stay healthy and well, will be more proactive and preventative, and will promote independence.
Services will be better co-ordinated and will be delivered at home or in community settings wherever possible, avoiding unnecessary attendances at A&E and admissions to hospital and care homes.
Our Better Care Plan
The Better Care Plan (which you can see in full in the table below) draws on a wide range of experience and evidence of best practice both locally, nationally and internationally and includes the views of local service users, their families and carers and local stakeholders.
In Brighton and Hove we have taken a broader definition of ‘frailty’ to include people who have complex needs (e.g. people with mental health needs, people who are homeless) as well as older people who are frail, as this is the cohort of people most likely to benefit from a more integrated system. We estimate that approximately 5% of our adult population will be defined as significantly frail and a further 10% of our over 65 year old population with moderate frailty.
The vision for our frail population is to support them to stay healthy and well by providing 'whole person care' and promoting independence. Services will be better co-ordinated and will be delivered at home or in community settings wherever possible, avoiding unnecessary attendances at A&E, admissions to hospital and to long term care in nursing homes.
Our vision is based on ensuring future service provision is:
- Person centred Designed around the individual and delivered close to home
- Proactive and preventative Helping people stay healthy and remain independent
- Responsive and co-ordinated Available 7 days a week and provided in a seamless way that minimises admissions to hospital
- Supportive When someone is admitted to hospital the system will support them to recover and return home as soon as they are ready
- Integrated With organisations working together in innovative ways to provide health and social care services.
You can see an item about the CCG's Better Care Plan from ITV's Meridian news