Complain, Comment or Compliment

How the CCG deals with complaints and concerns

We take all complaints seriously and seek to act swiftly to resolve problems if they arise.

If you are unhappy with the treatment or service you have received from Brighton & Hove CCG you are entitled to make a complaint, have it considered, and receive a response from the Chief Accountable Officer. The NHS complaints procedure covers complaints made by a person about any matter connected with the provision of NHS services by NHS organisations. A copy of Brighton & Hove CCG Complaints policy is available on the Policies and Procedures page.

Who can complain?

A complaint can be made by a patient or person affected or likely to be affected by the actions or decisions of a NHS organisation. A complaint can also be made by someone acting on behalf of the patient or person, with their consent.

Complaints about a primary care service

The CCG does not commission primary care (GP, dentist, pharmacy or optician services). If you have a concern or complaint about a primary care service that can't be resolved locally with the Practice Manager, please contact NHS England.

Call: 03003 112233
Email (please state: ‘For the attention of the Complaints Manager’ in the subject line)
Write to: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT 

Need help to complain?

If you need any help from an independent body you may wish to contact the Independent Complaints Advocacy Service. Locally this service is provided by Brighton and Hove Impetus. They can write letters for you and assist you to present your case, if you wish. Their service is free of charge.

Call: 01273 229002

What is the time limit for making a complaint?

You should normally complain within 12 months of the event(s) concerned or within 12 months of becoming aware that you have something to complain about. Complaints managers in NHS organisations have discretion to waive this time limit if there are good reasons why you could not complain earlier.

To whom should I complain initially?

Local resolution aims to resolve complaints quickly and as close to the source of the complaint as possible, using the most appropriate means. You can raise your concerns immediately by speaking to a member of staff who may be able to resolve your concerns without the need to make a more formal complaint.

However, if you want to continue with a formal complaint you can do this by telephone, email or letter to the Complaints Team.

Call: 01273 238700
Write to: Complaints & FOI Officer, NHS Brighton and Hove CCG, Hove Town Hall, Norton Road, Hove, BN3 4AH

If you make your complaint orally, a written record will be made. You will be sent a copy as acknowledgement and asked to contact us if you wish to make any amendments. To help us deal with your complaint effectively, please provide the following information when you contact us:

  • Your name, address and telephone number.
  • The patient’s name and contact details name if you are complaining on behalf of someone else (if this is the case, you may be asked to complete a consent form).
  • Where and when the incident took place that you are complaining about.
  • Full details of the complaint.
  • What you have already done about your complaint, if anything.
  • What you expect to happen as a result of your complaint.
  • Please note that in order for us to investigate your complaint thoroughly, it may be necessary for us to share details of the incident in question with other NHS organisations. If you would prefer us not to do this please make us aware when you first contact us.

What happens next?

We will acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days. It will then be passed to one of our trained investigating managers to carry out an investigation. The manager may wish to speak to you direct in order to gain your personal view of the issues you have raised; they may arrange a meeting with you or speak to you on the telephone. Once the investigation has been completed, you will receive a letter from the Chief Clinical Officer giving a full explanation. Whenever possible this will be within 30 working days; if there is going to be a delay we will let you know and explain the reasons why.

Please be assured that your future care and treatment will not be affected in any way because you have made your concerns known to us.

If you are dissatisfied with the response, you have the right to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

Call: 03450 154033 or 03000 614298
Write to: Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP

Contact details will be given to you in our response to your concerns.

Healthwatch Brighton

If you are experiencing issues with your health care which you would like resolved, but are not making a complaint, you can contact Healthwatch Brighton and Hove. This is an independent organisation which helps local people by assisting them when they have concerns about healthcare services such as GPs, dental surgeons, pharmacists and opticians. Healthwatch can also help patients to make informed choices about their health and wellbeing.

Call: 01273 234040 (Monday-Friday)
Write to: HEALTHWATCH, Freepost RSGY-UXAC-ZZZG, Brighton, BN1 4GQ