A new 'Breathe Better Waste Less' project has been launched by the NHS in Brighton and Hove to support patients with asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and reduce pharmaceutical waste across the city.
Over 3,500 people in Brighton and Hove have COPD - a serious lung disease which make breathing more difficult - while approximately 16,000 people have asthma.
Evidence suggests that up to 90% of respiratory patients do not use their inhaler medication effectively - people tend to underuse their 'preventer' inhalers and overuse their 'reliever' inhalers. People also tend to throw away their inhalers before they are empty.
Better use of medication for asthma and COPD can help people to manage their condition and avoid going into hospital - and recycling inhalers after use is good for the environment.
“Every year, 73 million inhalers are dispensed across the UK and 62% of inhalers are likely to end up in landfill. If everyone across the UK returned their inhalers for recycling for just one year, the carbon saving would be equivalent to someone driving round the world in a family car 88,606 times,” explains local GP and Sustainability Lead for the CCG, Dr Rachel Cottam.
This is why respiratory patients are being encouraged to get their inhaler technique checked by their local pharmacist, as part of the CCG's 'Breathe Better Waste Less' project and also to drop used inhalers into 'Complete the Cycle’ recycling bins in local pharmacies.
You can get an inhaler check and recycle used inhalers at the following pharmacies in Brighton and Hove.
- Watts & Co, 110 Dyke Road, Brighton, BN1 3TE
- Boots, 67 Boundary Road, Portslade, BN35TD
- Boots, 105 St Georges Road, Brighton, BN2 1EA
- Co-op Pharmacy, 13 Warren Way, Brighton, BN2 6PH
- O Flinn Pharmacy, 77-78 Islingword Road, Brighton, BN2 9SL
- Boots, Queen's Parade, Hangleton, Hove, BN3 7LU
- Lloyds, Wellsbourne Health Centre, Whitehawk Road, Brighton, BN2 5FL
- Ross's Pharmacy, 3 York Place, Brighton, BN1 4GU
- Fields Pharmacy, 40 Eldred Avenue, Brighton BN1 5EG
- Coldean Pharmacy, 10 Beatty Avenue, Brighton, BN1 9ED
- Burwash Pharmacy, 9 Burwash Road, Hove, BN3 8GP
- Lloyds Pharmacy, 9 Longridge Avenue, Saltdean, Brighton, BN2 8LG
- Leybourne Pharmacy, 9 Leybourne Parade, Lower Bevendean, BN2 4LW
- Boots, 129 North Street, Brighton, BN1 2BE
- Superdrug Pharmacy, 78 Western Road, Brighton, BN1 2HA
- Kamsons Pharmacy, 11 Richardson Road, Hove, BN3 5RB
- Boots, 76 Boundary Road, Portslade, BN3 5TD
- Boots, London Road, Brighton, BN1 4JH
- Boots, 1 Rock Street, Brighton, BN2 1NF
- Boots, 4 The Parade, Hangleton Road, Hove BN3 7LU
- Boots, 59-61 George Street, Hove, BN3 3YD
- Boots, 114 Church Road, BN3 2EB
- Kamsons Pharmacy 175 Preston Road, Parkside BN1 6AG
- Kamsons Pharmacy 1a Lewes Road BN2 3HP
- Kamsons Pharmacy 50 The Highway Moulsecoomb BN2 4GB
- Kamsons Pharmacy 128 St James’s Street BN2 1TH
- Kamsons Pharmacy 25-26 Whitehawk Road BN2 5FB