Mental Health Information for Young People

young person wearing headphones sitting in park in Brighton

There are lots of people and services in Brighton and Hove that can offer you free and confidential support and advice if you are

  • anxious
  • sad
  • being bullied
  • worried about a friend

There are phone helplines, walk-in services where you don't need an appointment, and even free counselling sessions.

Use the links below to find out who can help.

In an emergency

If you feel there is a serious risk to yourself or others, or you are in danger or experiencing an emergency, you can contact or visit the following places and services:



If you need support and someone to turn to:

  • Call 08457 90 90 90 - lines are open 24hrs a day, 7 days a week
  • Visit the Samaritans Walk-in Service, Dubarry House, Newtown Road, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 6AE - open from 10.00am to 10.00pm, 7 days a week.

Sussex Mental Healthline

Call 0300 5000 101 for support and information if you’re worried about your mental health.  

Lines are open overnight from 5.00pm to 9.00am, Monday to Friday, and 24hrs a day during weekends and Bank Holidays.

For advice and support

Five ways to wellbeing

The Five Ways to Wellbeing can boost your mood and help you to stay well.


You can contact Childline for help and advice on 08001111, or visit the Childline Website

Where to Go For

A guide to support and services available for young people with mental health or wellbeing concerns can be found at the 'Where to Go For' website

Right Here

Visit Brighton and Hove young people's charity Right Here's website


Free online counselling for people aged 13-25 in Brighton and Hove can be accessed through the E-Motion project

Young Minds

Young Minds is a national organisation that offers young people help and support.

Time to Change

Time to Change focuses on reducing stigma associated with mental health.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

If these services are not helping you or you feel you need more support than they can offer you can refer yourself to CAMHS or you can ask your GP or school to refer you to CAMHS. Please visit the Brighton & Hove City Council website here for details on how to refer yourself to this service.

Children, Young People and Families Eating Disorder Service

The Children and Young People and Family Eating Disorder Service works with childrenv and young people experiencing eating disorders and their families.  You can find more information on the Sussex Partnership Foundation Trust website.

Young Carers

If you are a young person who looks after someone, you can find support and information on the Carers Centre website